Hydrogen peroxide is a transparent, monochrome fluid that dissolves with water easily. It is basically an amalgam comprising two hydrogen atoms and two oxygen atoms and its chemical formula is H2O2. Hydrogen peroxide is produced naturally in the atmosphere when ultra violet (UV) rays of the sun react with oxygen when there is existence of moisture in the air. On the other hand, ozone (chemical formula O3) is basically comprised of one free oxygen (O) and two additional oxygen atoms. As ozone is exposed to water, the additional oxygen atom separates quite effortlessly. Subsequently, water (chemical formula H2O) unites with the additional oxygen atom and turns into hydrogen peroxide (H2O2).
Hydrogen peroxide is often called an intimate relative of ozone. Besides being identified in the form of a potent oxygenator as well as oxidizer, a particular attribute of hydrogen peroxide it is aptitude to willingly disintegrate into its basic elements – water and oxygen. Similar to ozone, hydrogen peroxide also easily reacts with different materials and possesses the ability to eliminate bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites as well as specific tumour cells.
Hydrogen peroxide is naturally present in the biosphere of the earth – vestiges of this amalgam are often discovered in rain as well as snow. In addition, hydrogen peroxide has also been come across in several healing springs located in different regions of the world, counting Lourdes in France, Fatima in Portugal and at the Quebec-based shrine of St. Anne. It may be noted that hydrogen peroxide forms a vital constituent of plant life and minute quantities of this compound are also present in several fruits and vegetables, such as tomatoes, cabbage, green peppers, asparagus, apples, oranges, watercress and watermelons.
Besides plants, hydrogen peroxide is present in the animal kingdom too and is also concerned with several natural processes of our body. In the form of an oxygenator, hydrogen peroxide has the ability to supply the blood as well as other important systems in different parts of the body with minute amounts of oxygen. In fact, hydrogen peroxide does not deliver oxygen to the body just by generating reasonable amounts of oxygen but it possesses an amazing ability to invigorate the oxidative enzymes that contain the aptitude to alter the chemical element/ constituent of different substances, such as bacteria and viruses, while it itself remains unaffected. Instead of supplying additional oxygen to the cells, the existence of hydrogen peroxide itself improves the cells’ natural oxidative processes. This, in turn, augments the ability of the body to utilize the available oxygen.
Hydrogen peroxide is vital for our body, especially for the proper functioning of our immune system. In fact, the cells present in our body those especially counteract contagions, such as the category of white blood cells called granulocytes, make hydrogen peroxide in the form of a first line of protection from bacteria, viruses, fungi and other parasites that are detrimental for our body. In addition, our body also requires hydrogen peroxide for the metabolism of ingested carbohydrates, proteins, fats, minerals and vitamins. In effect, hydrogen peroxide is an offshoot of cell metabolism, which is dynamically broken down peroxidase, a regulator of the hormones as well as an indispensible part of the progesterone, estrogen and thyroxin produced by our body. If all these do not seem to be sufficient enough attributes, hydrogen peroxide is also concerned with controlling blood sugar levels and also generating energy in the cells of our body.
French chemist Louis-Jacques Thenard was the first person to discover hydrogen peroxide in 1818. In fact, he also named the compound as eau oxygenee, which translated into English denotes ‘oxygenated water’. Hydrogen peroxide has been commercially used since the middle of the 1880s in the form of a pollution-free bleaching agent, sanitizer as well as an oxidizing agent.
While hydrogen peroxide is present in nature, it is also possible to make little amounts of it in the laboratory by means of chemical reaction between barium peroxide and cold diluted sulfuric acid. To prepare large amounts of hydrogen peroxide, you need to electrolyse frozen strong sulfuric acid. This procedure results in a chain of chemical reactions that produce a substance known as peroxy-disulfuric acid. Upon warming the solution to room temperature, it converts into hydrogen peroxide. It may be mentioned that an assortment of hydrogen peroxide grades are available and a few of them are discussed briefly below.
The type of hydrogen peroxide that is found in places like pharmacies and grocery stores is a low-grade 3 per cent hydrogen peroxide. It basically comprises 50 per cent ‘super D peroxide’ and is watered down. This variety of hydrogen peroxide encloses an assortment of stabilizers, for instance, phenol, sodium stancite and acetanilide. This type of hydrogen peroxide is mainly employed to sanitize wounds as well as cure skin rashes, in addition to an effectual and low-cost (but having an enjoyable flavor for some people) mouthwash. This quality of hydrogen peroxide is utilized around the house also to refresh the bathroom as well as to rinse fresh vegetables and fruits. Although 3 per cent variety of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) should never be consumed.
Another variety of this compound is the 6 per cent hydrogen peroxide that encloses an activator which makes this amalgam an effectual blanching material. 6 per cent hydrogen peroxide is basically used by people like surfers, hairdressers and also by teenagers in the form of a hair colorant.
Similar to other hydrogen peroxide grades, the 30 per cent reagent variety also appears to be safe like water. Nevertheless, this grade of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is basically an extremely concentrated chemical amalgam which is highly caustic. People who intend to use this grade of H2O2 need to exercise stringent precautions. If this variety of hydrogen peroxide comes in contact with the skin, it may result in burn injuries. Even inhaling the vapor or consuming this chemical compound in its complete potency may be perilous and may also result in death. However, when it is employed in the appropriate manner, reagent-grade 30 per cent hydrogen peroxide is also harmless. Since this grade of H2O2 comparatively lacks heavy metals as well as trace elements, it is basically employed in medical studies. It is strongly recommended that the reagent-grade hydrogen peroxide in a diluted form is used in bio-oxidative treatment. You may purchase this grade of hydrogen peroxide from any store supplying chemicals.
Traditionally, the 35 per cent food-grade hydrogen peroxide has been employed by the food industry in the form of a toxin-free sterilizer. When this variety of H2O2 is highly diluted with water, it is used to spray eggs, cheese, fruits, vegetables and whey products with a view to protect these substances from unwanted or harmful bacteria. In addition, 35 per cent hydrogen peroxide is useful for sanitizing food containers that have metal and foil coating. The dairy industry also uses food grade or 35 per cent hydrogen peroxide in the form of a bactericide and disinfectant. Although this grade of hydrogen peroxide is comparatively less preferred for bio-oxidative treatment, it is much easy to obtain food-grade H2O2 from any major store dealing in natural foods.
Another variety of H2O2 is the 90 per cent hydrogen peroxide that is primarily employed by the military as well as in space exploration in the form of a propulsion resource for fuels for rockets. It is an extremely volatile chemical compound, which may possibly blow up provided it is not dealt with cautiously. It is not advisable to use 90 per cent hydrogen peroxide in bio-oxidative treatment.
Hydrogen peroxide has various uses, including industrial, therapeutic, and domestic as well as in agriculture. Some of these utilities of H2O2 are discussed in brief below.
- Pollution control
- In addition to being an excellent bleaching agent, H2O2 is also a potent oxidizer, virucide and bactericide. When hydrogen peroxide is added to wastewaters as well as residential and industrial sewage, it eliminates unsafe pathogens making these effluents harmless for the surroundings. In addition, hydrogen peroxide also gets rid of all poisonous and fetid-smelling contaminants from the streams of industrial gas and also has the aptitude to restrict the concentration of chlorine in drinking water supplies.
- 90 per cent or high-grade hydrogen peroxide is utilized in the form of a fuel for rockets by several divisions of the armed forces as well as the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
- Hydrogen peroxide has several industrial uses and prominent among them is employing this compound to bleach cotton fabric. However, to some extent, H2O2 is also used to bleach silk, wool as well as specific vegetable fibers. In addition, hydrogen peroxide is also used to blanch ground wood, chemical pulps as well as linoleum and to enhance the color of specific oils and waxes. H2O2 is also employed to make the waste paper ink-free during the recycling process. It may be noted that the industries mentioned here have a preference for using hydrogen peroxide since it is environment friendly and does not add to pollution. When hydrogen peroxide is broken down, it only releases oxygen and water – both non-toxic elements.
- Chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and mining
- The chemical industry employs hydrogen peroxide to produce an assortment of organic as well as synthetic chemicals, in addition to using the compound in producing domestic bleaches. In addition, H2O2 also forms an ingredient in the production of cleaners for contact lens, eye drops, and extracts from aloe vera as well as mouthwashes. In the mining industry, hydrogen peroxide is used in the form of an oxidizing agent.
- Although a costly means for farmers to disinfect drinking water, just adding one pint of food-grade or 35 per cent hydrogen peroxide to 1,000 gallons of drinking water is enough to purify the water for farm animals. Besides serving in the form of a catalyst to promote oxidization of blood as well as eliminating detrimental bacteria and viruses, adding H2O2 to drinking water aids in killing worms as well as different parasites inhabiting the intestine. When hydrogen peroxide is provided to dairy cows, it has the aptitude to improve milk production as well as the animal’s content of butterfat.
Food-grade or 35 per cent H2O2 is utilized to wash/ clean milk cans as well as vast containers with a view to obliterate bacteria as well as other different pathogens. In addition, when hydrogen peroxide is appropriately diluted using water, it can be utilized in the form of a spray to rinse barn walls as well as floors. Blends of hydrogen peroxide are also used to sanitize wounds as well as rinse the mammary of cows, which, in turn, leads to lesser content of bacteria in their milk.
Since oxygen is indispensible for both plant and animal life to sustain, presently hydrogen peroxide is being utilized in different manners with a view to augment the pace of growth as well as the yield of plants. Several farmers also utilize hydrogen peroxide to produce an effectual pollution-free insecticide in the field, in addition to a spray for disinfecting the plants grown indoors as well as in gardens.
Hydrogen peroxide in medicine
A consulting physician at the St. Louis based City Hospital, Dr. I. N. Love, M.D., was the first person to report the remedial exploitation of hydrogen peroxide in March 3, 1888 edition of the American Medical Association’s journal under the heading ‘Peroxide of Hydrogen as a Remedial Agent’. This article was actually based on a lecture given in the preceding month by Dr. Love to the St. Louis Medical Society regarding his success in taking care of patients enduring various ailments, counting nasal catarrh, diphtheria, scarlet fever, whooping cough, severe coryza (also called head catarrh), hay fever, asthma and tonsillitis. In all these cases, treatment basically entailed using a syringe to administer a watered down solution of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) into the nostrils. Speaking on the subject, Dr. Love had remarked that the extraordinary nature of hydrogen peroxide suggests that it ought to be a potent antiseptic as well as an eliminator of microbes – anything that completes oxidation as fast, if it may be used with safety and caution, have got to be an exceptional application to infected surfaces owing to the sanitizing effects. Furthermore, Dr. Love also reported the utilization of H2O2 in treating uterine cancer in the form of a ‘sanitizer, freshener and promoter’ of the healing process.
At the Medical Society of Georgia’s annual meeting afterward in the same year, Dr. P. R. Cortelyou, M.D., gave an account of his medical experiences using hydrogen peroxide to treat throat and nose problems. According to Dr. Cortelyou, he watered down hydrogen peroxide and made use of the liquid in the form of a delicate spray to treat patients struggling with sore throat, chronic pharyngitis, tonsillitis, rhinitis, cough and diphtheria. In a number of instances, he also use hydrogen peroxide combined with additional medications available in those days, counting a solution prepared using potash, iodine and glycerine as well as ‘muriate of cocaine’. Following treatment of a woman enduring acute cough and high fever using this blend for a period of four weeks, Dr. Cortelyou testified that the condition of the patient’s throat had improved so much that the remedy was given just two times every week. He further reported that owing to the treatment the condition of the woman has been good throughout the winter.
It may be noted that the British physician Dr. T. H. Oliver is known to be the first doctor to use hydrogen peroxide intravenously in 1920. In the previous year, Dr. Oliver had cured as many as 25 patients in India who were gravely ailing with influenzal pneumonia. Dr. Oliver had injected hydrogen peroxide straight into the patients’ veins. It is interesting to note that against the usual mortality rate of more than 80 per cent for influenzal pneumonia, the death rate of Dr. Oliver’s patients was as low as 48 per cent. While this process of delivering hydrogen peroxide may possibly result in gas embolism – a condition that has the potential to block the blood vessels and result in a stroke, it seems that this did not happen in the case of any patient treated.
In the United States, renowned chemist plus physician Dr. William Fredrick Koch undertook several studies with hydrogen peroxide on cancer patients during the 1920s. In fact, Dr. Koch made use of a substance, which he named glyoxylide that is thought to be the identical oxygen that is present in hydrogen peroxide. Unlike Dr. Oliver who administered hydrogen peroxide intravenously, Dr. Koch was in favour of administering H2O2 intramuscularly.
Although the treatments of Dr. Koch proved to be successful, afterwards the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) initiated legal action against him. While he was not fond guilty, Dr. Koch made up his mind to go away from the United States and go on with his research in Brazil, where he breathed his last in 1967.
Scientists at the Texas-based Baylor University Medical Center undertook several major researches regarding the therapeutic utilizes of hydrogen peroxide during the early 1960s. In the initial researches concerning cancer, scientists discovered that compared to the common cells, the cells which enclosed an elevated amount of oxygen reacted more positively to radiation therapy. Prior to this study, physicians frequently used hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) with a view to oxygenate the cells. However, this was done in a somewhat awkward and costly procedure making use of specifically constructed oxygen chamber from where oxygen was distributed under immense pressure that was more than the standard atmospheric pressure. Nevertheless, physicians at the Baylor University Medical Center discovered that when H2O2 was injected in little amounts into any vein, it was able to accomplish effects similar to those of hyperbaric oxygen at a greatly less cost and having lesser unfavourable side effects.
The researchers at the Baylor University Medical Center also found that H2O2 has an invigorating action on the muscles of the heart and, therefore, using this compound may well be immensely beneficial for patients enduring heart attacks. In effect, therapeutic use of hydrogen peroxide proved to be helpful in providing relief from myocardial ischemia – a condition wherein there is an absence of oxygen supply to the heart muscle. In a report published in the journal Circulation, Dr. H. C. Urschel Jr. wrote that ventricular fibrillation – a grave condition concerning exceptionally fast, imperfect tightening of the ventricle region of the heart could be completely eased by administering hydrogen peroxide intravenously.
In addition, the scientists at the Baylor University Medical Center examined the consequences of administering hydrogen peroxide intravenously and its impact on the build up of plaque within the arteries. They discovered that besides helping to effectively do away with plague accumulation in the arteries, the impact of using hydrogen peroxide in this manner was also lasting. Although the findings of this research gave some hope to people who were otherwise certain to undergo the costly, risky and usually unsuccessful bypass heart surgeries, it is unfortunate that the medical establishment paid no attention at all to the studies undertaken by researchers at Baylor.
How does it work?
It may be noted that hydrogen peroxide is a potent oxidizer as well as an effectual oxygenator. Over the last six decades, research authors have explained several physiological consequences of hydrogen peroxide in many literatures published in scientific and medical journals.
- On the lungs
- Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) aids in encouraging the oxygenation process inside the lungs by means of improving the blood circulation in such a manner that blood is more exposed to air. This, in turn, facilitates the red blood cells as well as hemoglobin to transport oxygen to the cells present in the lungs. In fact, this action of hydrogen peroxide assists in eradicating foreign substances, counting damaged and dead tissues, from the tiny air sacs present in the lungs, which are known as alveoli, to places where oxygen is carried into the bloodstream.
- On metabolism
- It has been found that hydrogen peroxide works to regulate the consequences of several hormones, counting slowing down of dopamine, bioamines, serotonin and noradrenalin, and the making of thyroxine and progesterone. In addition, hydrogen peroxide also directly or obliquely promotes the systems of a number of specific oxidative enzymes. It may be noted that all enzymes are compound proteins that have the aptitude to produce alterations in different substances. For instance, digestive enzymes have the aptitude to break down ingested foods into more ingenuous compounds which can be used by the body for sustenance.
- On the Heart and Circulatory System
- Hydrogen peroxide possesses the ability to expand or dilate the blood vessels of the heart, the brain, the extremities as well as the lungs. In addition, this compound also has the aptitude to lower the heart rate, improve the stroke volume (the measure of blood pumped by the heart’s left ventricle during each beat) and also lessen vascular resistance making it easier for the blood to circulate all the way through the blood vessels. Consequently, hydrogen peroxide has the aptitude to improve the overall productivity of the cardiac system.
- Sugar (glucose) utilization
- It is said that hydrogen peroxide copies the consequences of insulin and, hence, it has been effectively employed to make instances of diabetes mellitus type II more stable.
- Immune response
- We are aware of the fact that granulocytes are basically a variety of white blood cell, which is used by the body to combat infections. Whenever the body is steeped with hydrogen peroxide, the amount of granulocytes present in the body initially declines and subsequently augments further than the original amount.
It has also been found that using hydrogen peroxide in intravenous therapy also encourages the development of monocytes, a variety of white blood cells, which forage, track and eliminates bacteria. In addition, intravenous therapy with H2O2 also encourages T-helper cells (these are white blood cells that coordinate the response of the immune system and send indications to other cells in the immune system to carry out their particular roles) and it also facilitates in augmenting the creation of gamma interferon, a protein present when the cells become susceptible to viruses, in addition to other cytokines (also known as cellular messengers), which encourage the healing process. Infection-free cells which are made susceptible to interferon are converted into cells protected from any type of viral infection.
What diseases can hydrogen peroxide treat?
Most of us are extremely familiar with the inferior quality of hydrogen peroxide (3 per cent). When this grade of hydrogen peroxide is applied topically to a gaping wound, it forms bubbles, which is actually oxygen being released from the solution. Nevertheless, only a few people are aware of the extensive assortment of remedial potentials of the reagent grade (30 per cent) hydrogen peroxide or the food grade (35 per cent) hydrogen peroxide when they are watered down and ingested in the form of a bio-oxidative remedy.
Similar to ozone, hydrogen peroxide too has the aptitude to cure a wide gamut of ailments since it eliminates bacteria, viruses, fungi as well as parasites. In addition, hydrogen peroxide also has the capability to obliterate specific types of tumour cells.
The following ailments have been clinically treated with intravenous hydrogen peroxide with varying levels of achievement:
- acute and chronic viral infections
- Alzheimer’s disease
- cardiac arrhythmias (irregular heartbeat)
- cardio conversion (heart stoppage)
- cardiovascular disease (heart disease)
- cerebral vascular disease (stroke and memory loss)
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- chronic pain syndromes (from various causes)
- chronic recurrent Epstein-Barr infection
- chronic unresponsive bacterial infections
- cluster headaches
- diabetes mellitus type II
- herpes simplex (fever blister)
- herpes zoster (shingles)
- HIV-related infections
- metastatic carcinoma (cancer)
- migraine headaches
- multiple sclerosis
- parasitic infections
- Parkinson’s disease
- peripheral vascular disease (poor circulation)
- rheumatoid arthritis
- systemic chronic candidiasis (yeast infections)
- temporal arteritis (inflammation of the temporal artery)
- vascular headaches
Currently, scientists are engaged in developing different treatment procedures for several different diseases, counting Erlich’s carcinoma (a transplantable, defectively distinguished malignant tumour), Legionnaires’ disease (a contagion attributable to the bacterium Legionella pneumophila), contagions by Candida albicans, Toxoplasma gondii, Salmonella typhi, cytomegalovirus and even HIV as well as pneumonia related to AIDS and attributable to pneumocystis carinii.
- From Katie – Aug-16-2015
- I wish everyone who is suffering from on-going health problems, normally labelled rather than clinically diagnosed, could read some of these testimonial on Hydrogen Peroxide…………..it is a cure for cancer. Without a shadow of a doubt.
- From Edward – Jul-17-2014
- I cured my pneumonia by using a 3% solution of food grade hydrogen peroxide via nasal sprayer directly into the lungs. Took about 3 days and pneumonia completely gone. No more antibiotics (mycotoxins) for me.
- From Mario Martins – Jun-16-2014
- I started this treatment 2 weeks ago (distilled water), starting 1 drop in 8 ounces of water 3 times daily, aim at 10 drops a day, and the results I have experienced are: easier breathing, more oxygen inside of me, I feel confident and so much happier, even under stressful working times; joint pains are truly on the decline, my head feels clearer, my memory better, wooooooww I just found a natural ingredient that to me is miraculous so to speak, anyone out there who is not happy with their health give this h202 a go as I am still and am so happy right now, follow the dilutions to a tea. All I can say is that my health in 2 weeks has improved and I’m not even 1/2 way through the treatment, I plan to complete this, then slowly reduce to 6 drops a day with distilled water for as long as I breath.
- From John Kingsley – Apr-18-2012
- I cured not only liver cancer, but also emphysema, type II diabetes and hepatitis C in three and a half months using the hydrogen peroxide therapy. I started with five drops in eight ounces of pure water twice a day and I injected it into my vein every morning for a month and a half and nebulised it a few times a day. After I was cleared of all my diseases, I started a maintenance dose every day and my health has been nothing short of fantastic. After starting with five drops I daily moved the dosage up to a total of thirty five drops per dose and held it there for the remainder of the three months. I did this therapy religiously throughout the three and a half months. With all the people that I have helped since, there has been remarkable healings going on almost every day. If you have any type of disease, start this therapy and heal yourself. There are no side effects and to heal yourself, it will cost you about a penny and a half per day, not the crazy price it costs to see a doctor. Folks, this stuff works.
- From Jon – 2010
- I inhaled and put drops in water a few years ago for a tick born disease called Bartonella which is in the family of cat scratch fever. This disease had me so near death it was depressing. I used the 3% solution available in stores and I went to extremes of dosage well above what was recommended on the net.
I did this for around three or four weeks (both in water and inhalation) and had extreme die off effect and after recovery from the excruciating die off which took two days, I then felt like a teen boy and so alive and have had no reappearance of the disease ever since. What is not talked enough about on the web is the extreme danger of smokers having the risk of nicotine overdose. Smokers have to quit for awhile to avoid this.
I have found peroxide to be effective against almost anything. It even killed the parasites that caused my step dad’s rheumatoid arthritis, and my daughter’s depression caused by hook worms in the brain. Hope this helps people wake up to the truth of disease such as it did for me.